Skip to main content

Literature that Changed Me This Year

 I love to read, and it's always been this way. Whether it's waking up at 4am to read Judy Blume or Harriet the Spy or staying up late reading Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow (by Gabrielle Zevin) and Exit West (by Mohsin Hamid), I must admit that the reading has been one of the few constants in my life. To celebrate some of the literature that has shaped me recently, I want to feature some books and pieces of literature and why they changed me. 

Exit West by Mohsin Hamid


Exit West is hands-down one of the most poignant tales I have read throughout my whole life. This book broke and somehow reconstructed the pieces of my heart back together. The plot follows a young couple who migrate westward when hearing of a portal that could save their lives in a war-torn country. The book encompasses the psychological and emotional toll of forced migration, as well as the challenges of navigating the unknown. Not only was Hamid's exploration of these themes striking, but so was his prose that so beautifully connects to readers. The thing that struck me most was that I felt that this book really put me in the place of the characters: I was no longer at home in the United States reading, but rather fleeing a country that has been seized by an oppositional government. I soon internalized the fear and feeling of what it is like to have to leave everything behind: your favorite albums and CDs, the lemon tree that you watered every day with such devotion, the burger joint where you met your friends, and the stories and people who once shaped you. 

Good Talk by Mira Jacob



I will be the first to say that I am honestly not a huge fan of graphic novels. In order for me to sit down and read one, I have two requirements: an extremely interesting plot with good prose and stimulating art/visuals. When I first saw this book a few years ago, I felt uninspired and it did not seem too appealing to me. However, after a summer of interacting with students from around the world (Thanks, Iowa), I felt that I had an obligation to read more about the experiences about my own people in the United States. My family is Indian on my mother's side, but I have felt the intense generational rift between my immigrant grandparents and my mother, who was naturalized at age 12. To sum it up, we get takeout Indian food when we feel in the mood for some curry or channa masala. Good Talk was such a thought-provoking graphic novel for me, as I believe it helped me see inside myself but also helped me understand that the Indian diaspora has so many different experiences in the United States. The graphic novel is such an important voice in today's dialogue about race and media, and the fact that reality does divide us (despite our ongoing efforts to unify the country). Definitely one of the most compelling books I've read that tackles multiculturalism from such an intimate perspective.

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Alas one of the most acclaimed works of literature from the 20th century. This book genuinely made me put the book down over fifty times and just sit and process the depth of the content. The book is a reminder of the intense bullying, self-depreciation, and conflict with beauty standards caused by structural racism in the United States. The book is able to grapple with the love and hate that people of color deal with in the United States. Morrison engages with the issues of beauty and how, in the United States, it is so strongly associated with whiteness and white features, such as having blue eyes (hence the name). Morrison explores how things so mundane, like a candy store, can ultimately be a symbol for the desperation of wanting to fit into a society where whiteness is valued. Morrison foregrounds the demonization of Blackness in the broader American culture, focusing on the psychological effects of internalized racism. This book encapsulates how the notion of "ugly" and "beautiful" are so deeply intertwined with race, and how this leads to a life of self-hate and vulnerability to society.
Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin


Wow. Honestly another sneaker here. This was genuinely one of my most favorite novels to read this year. I am not a huge fan of video gaming, and honestly do not have a lot of knowledge pertaining to the subject matter, but this book had me staying up until 3 a.m. in order to turn the next page. The novel follows a young student at Harvard and a childhood friend at MIT who embark on a mission to create an innovative video game, while the reconcile their relationship and explore aspects of their childhood that they shared together. The book beautifully explores friendship, loss, socioeconomic difference, modern relationships, and maturing. The novel allows Zevin to explore and ponder the potential and alternate futures of the protagonists, putting an imaginative spin on MacBeth's famous "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow" soliloquy about the brevity of life and the inescapable "dusty death". Truly an amazing, profound, and entertaining work. Pachinko by Min Jin Lee


This book is one that I return to every year without fail. This summer, I was asked by a student from Japan: "What is a book I should read?" I immediately jumped to this title in my head. From the moment I touched this book to today, I have maintained that this book is the greatest novel my hands have touched. The book is actually a saga following a young woman's migration from Korea to Japan, assimilation and settlement, and later her grandson's immigration to the United States. Lee beautifully weaves together themes of death, loss, love, lack of translation between generations, and the passing down of trauma in families. The story spans almost the entirety of the 20th century, reflecting on the impact of society's constant evolution on individuals and families. I would lie to you if I said that this book has only made me cry a couple times, as I feel that this book makes me pull out a box of tissues every time I read it. 
The Sun and Her Flowers
If someone tells you that books can not heal the soul, please hand them this collection of poetry. Kaur weaves together a tasteful, meaningful collection of illustrations alongside poems that explore modern love: break-ups, mourning, healing, and learning to love again. While many critiques have criticized Kaur's style of writing and more modernist approach to poetry, her verse transcends time and speaks to readers who have experienced a lifetime of love, or are just discovering love for themselves. This collection of poetry is a shoulder to cry on, a sister to vent to, and a mother that nutures.

Citations:

Hamid, Mohsin. Exit West. Book cover image. Accessed October 9, 2024. Amazon. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81w-KvIdV-L.AC_UF1000,1000_QL80.jpg.

Jacob, Mira. Good Talk. Book cover image. Accessed October 9, 2024. Amazon. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81p9iXY9cqL.AC_UF1000,1000_QL80.jpg

Morrison, Toni. The Bluest Eye. Book cover image. Accessed October 9, 2024. Amazon. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71QJXHCMU9L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Zevin, Gabrielle. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow. Book cover image. Accessed October 9, 2024. Amazon. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91KugvH+FwL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Lee, Min Jin. Pachinko. Book cover image. Accessed October 9, 2024. Amazon. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/814EvRgiKpL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Kaur, Rupi. The Sun and Her Flowers. Book cover image. Accessed October 9, 2024. Amazon. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71qQgwFbo+L.AC_UF1000,1000_QL80.jpg.












Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It All Started in Iowa

Who would have thought Iowa could have made a family of young adults from nine different countries? Hi there! My name is Naomi Margolis and I am so pleased to be writing the official first post of the "Once Upon a Time in Iowa" Blog. We are a group of writers, of poetry and prose, who all met during the Between the Lines program at the Iowa International Writing Program during the summer of 2024. We come from the United States, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Morocco, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Cameroon, and Slovakia.  While in Iowa, we all lived together in Catlett Hall at the University of Iowa, attending writing seminars and workshops for two weeks. Some highlights were staying up late watching fireworks, impromptu and surprise birthday parties, Target sprees, bowling games, being late to class, watching Wes Anderson, pulling all-nighters, and crying uncontrollably at the end. We are the proud students/mentees of Jose Olivarez and Mansoura Ez-Eldin and had a pleasure wo